Sunday, August 24, 2014

meal prep isn't for everyone.

My attempts at meal prep have been a waste of money.

Image credit: Google via hellostrips.com



For two weekends in a row I spent a few hours on Sunday making food to take to work for lunch or to eat for dinner after work. Last weekend I made some BBQ chicken, a zucchini and squash stir fry with peppers and some turkey burgers. I am obviously making all this food with the best intentions and while I'm cooking I am thinking about how good this food is going to be when I get to eat it.

And then I pack my lunch bag for work and already nothing that I make sounds good anymore. I go to work, put my lunch in the fridge and spend the morning thinking that Qdoba sounds really good, or one of the bazillion other fast food places around my job. So I end up not eating what I brought (so wasting that money because my lunch is not gonna get eaten) and then spending $10 at Qdoba on food that I don't really need. So by the end of the week I am broke because I spent all my allowance on fast food and I've basically wasted all my groceries because that food isn't going to last. 

I will say that I did a lot better last week than I had done in the week before that. I went out to eat less and ate more of my food I made instead. All of that being said I don't think I do this whole meal prep thing correctly. So my new plan is that I'm going to make less food and I'm going to allow myself to eat out maybe twice a week. 

I'm definitely in need of some help with this topic. 

6 comments:

  1. I know how you feel! I tend to make lunch each evening when I cook dinner. If I prepared it on a Sunday, come Thursday I doubt I'd fancy tuna mayo salad. I also have one day a week where I can buy lunch otherwise I would get bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm definitely gonna have to adjust my plan.

      Delete
  2. Do you like the food when you make it for dinner? I'm trying to figure out why it might not appeal to you for lunch. If I like a dish, then I like it again for lunch or dinner, maximum two times afterwards. Maybe you need to make less, so you are not eating it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like it when I'm making it but I think I need to make less. Looking back at how much I make for just one person is a little much.

      Delete
  3. I try to pack "snacky" things so that i can eat at regular intervals and then I am not so tempted by the food court. Fruit, cubes of cheese, raw vegetables, yogurt
    I know it is hard though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May. I've thought about doing that, but it does sound like a good idea.

      Delete